Thresher Boatbuilding

14/11/2005 at 10:36pm : Tony Thresher [Reply] [Report]
I would like to announce that I will no longer be building or repairing boats. The reasons for this are personal and a little complicated.

I will continue sailing as much as possible and am hoping to compete in the Champion of Champions Solo event next year.

Finally I would like to thank all my customers over the years for their support and wish everyone good sailing.

Tony Thresher

Replies:

15/11/2005 at 7:34am : Tony Hanan [Reply] [Report]
Tony, I am sorry to hear this news,. Whilst I have never had one of your boats, your contribution to the Solo class as a builder is fantastic, pioneering low cost construction etc, always searching for improvements within the rules and trying for rule changes.
I do hope you can continue to sail the Solo, and will see you around.
Tony Hanan, 4548.

15/11/2005 at 8:09pm : Thurstan Ollerearnshaw [Reply] [Report]
Tony

sorry to hear that you will no longer be making or repairing boats. As you know I am the proud owner of one of your boats, a lovely composite that always draws admiring looks whenever I take it out.

I wish you luck in whatever you do next and look forward to seeing you on the circuit during the year.

Thurstan S4515

15/11/2005 at 8:41pm : bob lovell [Reply] [Report]
Hi Tony,
Sorry to hear that. My Thresher Solo 3824 "Charlotte" named after my grandaughter has given me more enjoyment than any other boat I have owned. Thanks for building her.
Bob

15/11/2005 at 10:46pm : richard gibbon [Reply] [Report]
Tony, thank you for your help and encouragement and for your involvement in training days, many are the times I said 'Thanks Tony' to myself when gybing in survival conditions and living to tell the tale. Best wishes for the future.

Richard

16/11/2005 at 9:00am : roger witts [Reply] [Report]
Good Luck Tony and thanks for all your help.
Good Luck too with 857!!!

16/11/2005 at 7:47pm : david walford [Reply] [Report]
Tony

I was saddened to hear your news. As an owner of one of your boats from new 4277 I can definitely confirm that I have been entirely happy with the quality and workmanship . The boat is all wood / 51/2 years old and apart from a repaint on the floor still looks in prestine condition. Shame about the helm ! People still come up and say how good a quality wooden boat looks when compared to those not made in wood.
Hopefully you will return to build new Solos in the future. Let me know as I would like to become a customer of yours in the future.
All the best. see you on the circuit sometime - The 2006 Winters at Oxford.

David Walford

Solo 4277
Force 2 Beat

17/11/2005 at 9:41am : Tim Wade [Reply] [Report]
Tony, I am sure the lucrative nature of boatbuilding will lure you back at some time in the future!!!
Having suffered from an addiction to habitual boat changing on a regular basis, I feel well qualified to say that all three of the Solos I purchased from you were competitive and well built. The last wooden one 4178 is still with original paintwork and varnish - and is still capable of thrashing the odd Winder or two on our lake at Spinnaker Club.
Your determination to build a Solo that was fast and affordable brought many people into the fleet a few years ago and changed the accepted concept for putting together a boat.
Good luck and maybe see you at training days in the future at some point?

Tim

22/11/2005 at 6:58pm : will loy [Reply] [Report]
also very saddened to hear that tony will no longer be building solos. had some very fast rides using his boats. 3604 led a race at abersoch 90. finished 6th at rutland in 91 with 4 results in the top ten out of 100+. in 3768. tony's solos were always very stable with oodles of downwind speed. taking on firstly the lovetts in the mid eighties, then the gosling and miles hulls through to the present day with the frp builders. tony was at the forefront of hull shape and construction yet able to keep the cost of racing down at a level the common man could afford. where do we go from here? we all want to compete, some at the front end of the fleet at national level or maybe just at our local club with the club champion. we want to be on equal terms with tha rest. now it will cost about 5500 to get a look in. the new breed of solo IS superior to new solos 10 years ago. the void then was much smaller to bridge. when did everything get so expensive. surely jack holt would not have wanted the solo to cost so much. with a competitive solo now being marketed by two major builders(i hope the numbers will back me up) we may be held to ransom. we need builders like tony to champion the cause of the common man/woman. we need to either tighten up the rules regarding weight distribution in hull construction or RADICALLY review the rules for wooden construction to enable competitive boats to be built. we are not the only class that has confronted this dilemma. you might like to check out the ok website( uk) under weight distribution. are we becoming a check-book class such as the merlin rocket. (no offence merlin fleet).

23/11/2005 at 1:33pm : will loy [Reply] [Report]
sorry, i dont have a cheque book.

23/11/2005 at 7:32pm : Simon Childs [Reply] [Report]
Tony,

Wishing you all best and thanks for the 6 or so fantastic quick boats you made for me and Val. over the years. Certainly provided us with some of our best Sailing memories with Messrs Carveth, Houston, Bond, Falcon, Hunt, Hilllary, Lea etc. Blimey looking at that list no wonder I never won anything.

All the best mate, hope to see you around soon

Simon,Val & Paul

13/12/2005 at 9:22pm : Paul Cunningham [Reply] [Report]
And so the end of an era passes ... good luck with whatever happens next Tony, thanks for all the good sailing we had, and for the great boats that you built me. Regards, Paul Cunningham

3/1/2006 at 12:33am : Mike Barnes [Reply] [Report]
Sorry to read this Tony, I hope that the reasons are not related to ability to make boats that can keep up with the plastic.
The efforts that you have made over the years to keep the costs down have been a major part of the success of the class over the last 15 years and to a great extent the reason that there has been a market to allow the plastic boats to be developed.

3/1/2006 at 4:38pm : Tony Thresher [Reply] [Report]
Hi Mike

Nothing to do with not being able to make a woody as fast as a plastic. In fact I'll see you at Felpham in 2777, down to weight and in original condition and built by Richard Lovett.

All the best

Tony.

4/1/2006 at 8:32am : Doug Kerr [Reply] [Report]
Thresher the Boatbuilder retires.

Thresher the the Bandit Sailor lives on!!

Good luck and all the best

Doug (Solo 3903)

The Solo Class Association disclaims any liability with respect to content in the message board area of this web site. The opinions expressed by users in the message board postings are not necessarily the opinions of the Association or it's committee.